For students there are three main transitions connected to high school.
- the transition into high school
- the transition from junior school (Years 7-10) to senior school (Year 11-12)
- the transition from high school to either the work force or tertiary education
Each of these transitions are a time of change, which can create anxiety for students and their families. There are a number of things you can do to help reduce the stress or anxiety of these changes. Please contact the front office and ask to speak to the Family Support Map staff if you would like extra support. The Family Support Map staff will be happy to help you with any of the following suggestions, and will work with you if have suggestions of your own.
Transition into high school
During Year 6
- Ask for a private visit of the school grounds. One of our staff can organise a quiet visit for extra needs students in Year 6 who will be attending our school for Year 7.
- Ask if an extra orientation day is being held for extra needs students.
- Have a look through the website. You will be able to see the bell times and find information about the different faculties.
- Like the school's Facebook page and see some of the great things that happen in high school.
- Purchase the book pack. This has all the right books and equipment for your child to get off to a good start.
- Check that any information about your child's extra needs has been provided to the Learning Support staff.
During Year 7
- Register for the Sentral Parent Portal for easy access to your child's timetable and information.
- Create a pocket size time table for your child to make it easy to know where they need to go.
- Encourage your child to pack their bag the night before school, so that they are not starting the day stressed by trying to find things.
- Check the Assessment Booklets and Sentral Calendar to keep track of when tasks are due.
Subject Selection Booklets
Transition from junior to senior school
- Students should choose classes that they enjoy. This will increase their interest and confidence, providing the best opportunity for them to do well in their studies.
Transition from high school to the work force or tertiary education
- An information evening is held during term 4 for students in Year 11 to learn more about their post HSC options. View the PowerPoint
- Attend open days at TAFE, Colleges or Universities you may be interested in attending
- Watch the school Facebook page for events being advertised. We post information about a range of information events that may be useful
- Year 12 Graduation, Formal and Reference Application notes